8 January 2015

Controlling the Frizz


I've always had unruly hair and my mother has countless childhood photos that can attest to that. I thought I had it all figured out but then I moved to Dublin. Ah Ireland, known for it's Guinness, it's green grass and...for it's rain. And, what comes with rain? Humidity. Yes, that's right, that dreaded humidity. The minute there's any sign of it my hair tends to turn into a giant frizz ball. I used to be okay about it back in Montreal because I'd just throw my hair in a bun but the problem now is that in Dublin it rains pretty much everyday. Sometimes I just want to be able to wear my hair down when I'd like to. I've narrowed my hair care down over the past few months to a routine, which I think has helped control and diminish the frizz. 

I've noticed that my hair is particularly frizzy when it's dry and unhealthy. To help prevent dryness I use the L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore 5 mask to hydrate the ends of my hair. This mask is also brilliant for split ends! I use it about about once a week. I turn off the water put this on the mid lengths of my hair and let it sit for 5 minutes while I exfoliate and then rinse out.

Once I'm out the shower I brush my hair using the amazing Tangle Teezer. Over the years I've always struggled to find a good hairbrush. The minute I'd brush my hair it would look worse off then before so I just kind of gave up on brushing it altogether, until I found this brush. The Tangle Teezer gently smooths out my kinks, makes my hair look shiny and healthy and somehow reduces the frizz even on my curly hair. It's an absolute lifesaver!

When I know I'm going to use heat on my hair I always use the John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength 6 Effects + Serum. It helps protect it from the damage that heat causes and, again, eliminates the frizz. I swear by this product and sometimes use it even when I'm not using any heat products. A little bit goes a long way with this, you really don't need much before your hair feels greasy and heavy.

I've never been one to use hairspray. I generally don't like it. It smells funny, makes it hard to breath after spraying it and it gets crunchy when it dries. But, having said all that, I've come to realize that on particular humid days hairspray is a necessity. The John Frieda Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Hairspray does what it says. Creates a moisture barrier which makes all the difference for my baby hairs around my face that tend to be the first thing to go all crazy and I've found that it doesn't dry hard. Bonus!

I've talked about the Josie Maran Argan Oil in this post and it's still as brilliant. On second or third day hair it gives it just a light touch of hydration and tames the puffiness just so. It's an absolute life saver for bad hair days.

So there you have it my favourites for taming the frizz. I'm always looking for new ways to control my hair. Do you have any frizz-eliminating advice or products I should give a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment