23 September 2014

In-Flight Beauty Essentials


I've taken several long-haul (5+ hours) flights in the last few years and during this time I have perfected my in-flight beauty routine. My skin is very dry and dehydrated to begin with and it gets far worst after a flight. I try to minimize the side effects of dry recycled airplane air by using products that will help my skin and general health. These are my beauty essentials for any flight. My liquids are always in a clear 1L plastic bag provided by the airport (and legally required) which I then place in a pouch. I got this pouch from Muji and I love how practical it is and the fact that it's somewhat see through. I place all of my other in flight necessities in it as well, including an inflatable head rest, pen, motion sickness tablets, chewing gum, etc.

  1. Antibacterial Wipes: I'm that crazy person on a flight that will use these wipes around the armrests, the food tray and basically anywhere else my skin will have contact with. You never really know how clean a plane is and bacteria and germs are known to stick around for a while. So I prefer to be safe and wipe down my seat and area.
  2. Face Wipes: Just as when you go to bed in the evening, it's important to take your make-up off on a long-haul flight. Though I don't usual use face wipes to remove my make-up, it's the easiest way to take it all off on a plane.
  3. Mouth Wash: So you have clean breath coming off the plane.
  4. NasoGel: The air in planes is known to be recycled and therefore very dry. I often get sinus infections and other problems with my nose when it's dry so I keep the inside of it nice and moisturized with this NasoGel. It prevents a lot of problems for me.
  5. Moisturizing Face Masque: I use whatever sample of masque I have that is ultra moisturizing for my skin. Long-haul flights tends to dry my skin out a lot so I use this to keep it hydrated and plump. The product sample photographed here is the La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Instense Masque and it's really great at giving a boost of hydration. (Side note: Masques often say to wipe off after 5 mins but I never do. My skin usually absorbs it right in. So I leave it during the whole flight.)
  6. Lip Balm: Same principle as a masque for the face: to keep your lips hydrated throughout the flight. 
  7. Hair clip: To keep all those pesky hairs out of your face.
  8. Toothpaste: Do you need a reason?
  9. Toothbrush: You may notice that this is not a travel size item. The reason being that I hate travel toothbrushes. The brushes are usually stiff and hurt my teeth and gums so I stick to my normal regular size toothbrush.
  10. Eye cream: I always use eye cream so it's no exception on a flight. The Avène Soothing Eye Contour Cream is my favourite at hydrating.
  11. Perfume: A few spritz before landing and it always makes me feel more alive. The one I like to have is the Jo Malone Orange Blossom because it's just so refreshing. Stick to small samples, they take up no place at all.
  12. Eye masque: This may not be a beauty or health product but it helps with getting your beauty sleep on the plane so I include it in my beauty essentials.

I hope this helps you when packing for your next flight, long or short. What are your in-flight beauty essentials? I'd love to hear yours and get suggestions!

1 comment: