20 July 2014

Hair Oils: The Good, The Bad and The Meh


I have been on a quest as of late to find a hair oil that I'm happy with, and by happy with, I mean that I love. I have naturally wavy hair that tends to frizz at the tiniest sign of humidity. My hair is also fine, which means that a lot of products sit heavy and will just flatten my hair to my face. I've tried a few products at different price points to finally settle on my favourite and it wasn't easy. So without further adieu, I introduce the good, the bad and the meh of hair oils.

The Good: Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil


I know this says The Good but it should really be called The Great. Ah, Josie Maran, you did not disappoint! I have heard such amazing things about her argan oil products and I was so excited try to this one. I love that it's 100% pure argan oil, nothing else added. It has loads of other cool properties, toxin free, paraben free, vegan, etc. and can be used for a bunch of things, bath oil, face oil, etc. It does exactly what the packaging says, doesn't smell like anything (love!) and works incredibly well to tame my frizz and control my waves. I also absolutely love it for dry elbow patches! I bought the mini because I didn't want to feel bad about having spent a bit of money on it. Now that I've tried and and fallen in love with it, I know it was well worth it and I will definitely be repurchasing it once I've finished the bottle.

The Bad: Organix Argan Oil of Morocco 


How disappointing! I had read such great reviews online so I had high expectations. I found that it left my hair feeling very heavy and didn't do a great job of reducing frizz when I applied it to towel dried hair. It was hard to coat my hair evenly with the product so it was concentrated in certain areas and made my hair look dirty most of the time. I like to use oils on dry hair as a finishing touch after blowdrying but this just didn't work well. The product is non-greasy but sticky. I started noticing that it left a film of sticky gel around the bottle, so you can only imagine what it leaves on the hair. My major problem with this product is that it's not an oil, it's more of a serum, with an bunch of ingredients in it that I'm not sure what they are and what they do. Given all of that, this was a miss for me.

The Meh: Aveda Dry Remedy


I really debated whether or not this product was The Bad or just The Meh, solely based on it's smell. The oil was recommended to me by my hair dresser so I had high hopes for it. In the salon, I didn't notice the smell, because everything there smells like the Aveda products, but when I got home and tried it a few times, the smell really got to me. It smells fine in the bottle but once on my hair I really don't like it. It's really disappointing because this product actually works. It works really well on dry hair, which I love and it does exactly what it says it will on the packaging: "A daily moisturizing oil [that] instantly moisturizes dry, brittle hair and ends." I'm planning on giving it to a friend who will absolutely love it and won't be bothered be the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment